Tuesday, March 2, 2010

mercury blues

I hope this doesn't become a pattern. 2am again. Awake.

Some jerk went and got us a thermometer to put outside. A big one with
Celsius and Fahrenheit. Up until now, the only thermometers we've had have
been either in a fridge or broken. I'm fine with kilograms and kilometers.
I've even gotten used to writing the date backwards but Celsius hasn't ever
meant much to me, relative to my own comfort. I know that 20 is "room
temperature" and that 0 is freezing. We keep the vaccines between 2 and 8
(hard to do lately - the kerosene fridge keeps getting to cold and the solar
fridges can't keep up - if only I had some kind of heat exchange tube
between the 3 of them...)

But viscerally, what is 5 degrees? Is that cold? Is 30 hot? Well, regardless
of conversions, we got the big stupid thermometer that tells me what I
didn't want to know. Today was not as hot as others lately. 102F in the
shade. I totally didn't want to know that. I was OK just knowing that it
was hot and hearing the rest of the expats mumbling about how it's gotta be
40C or 45C, whatever the hell that means. But 102 in the shade - that means
something to me.

Funny, up until a couple of weeks ago, we didn't really talk about the
weather . . .

No comments: